Do you get sign off from clients before you go to the next step in a project? For example, you’ve just spent weeks polishing a design and getting it changed and approved by the client. Do you get a verbal “I like it” or actually hand them a pen and get them to sign it?
It seems to me that a lot of people know that getting signoff is good process, but not a lot of people actually do it. I think mostly out of sheer forgetfulness.
There are many reasons why getting sign off is beneficial to clients.
- It gives clients a sense that you follow a detailed, proven process
- Communicates to the client that now is the time to make changes, not later
- Signifies moving to the next step
- Sets up boundaries for client and designer alike
- Reminds the client that they are making a decision that could cost them if they change it later
So, do you get sign off?